Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Corner of P. Tuazon and 20th street in Quezon City

Some time in the middle of 2004, I made a left turn on P. Tuazon going to 20th street, coming from Katipunan Avenue. There was a black Honda CRV in front of me so I thought... No, I didn't think of anything.

And then voila! There were these MMDA Traffic Enforcers and one (or two) police officers flagging the CRV and me down. The CRV zoomed ahead (God bless that driver), and I, being the law-abiding citizen that I am, pulled over to the side.

So I asked the apprehending police officer after he asked for my driver's license, "What did I do wrong, sir?" (Of course, this was all in my native Filipino language.) "That corner was a no-left-turn corner." "I did not see any signs, sir." "There is a sign." "For real?" "Yes." "Okay, I guess if what you are saying is true, give me a ticket then."

"Oh wait a minute, you live in Sta. Mesa, Manila. You will have to get your license at the Quezon City Hall, which is quite far from where you live..." SHORT OF SAYING, "JUST PAY ME AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET A TICKET."

So I said, "That's alright." "Are you sure?" "Yes, sir." So I surrendered my license and got my ticket.

The next day, I passed by the intersection again. So there is a no left turn sign... PROBLEM IS, THE NO-LEFT-TURN SIGN IS PLACED SO THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE TURNING LEFT WOULD NOT SEE IT! If you are facing the intersection, it's placed on the corner on the left, but no, not across the street, it's on the side you're on! So, drivers, because being trained to generally look in the forward direction, would not notice the sign! It's supposed to be on the corner where I'm turning left to, or adjacent to the traffic lights (where drivers look)!

Calling the attention of the METRO MANILA DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY! Mr. BAYANI FERNANDO, Hello! (Thanks to TsokolateBulate for the correction!)

Anyway, as of April 12, 2005, this has been corrected. The sign is now placed at the proper position.

SALAMAT, MMDA.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you said regarding the different tactics that traffic enforcers do just to get money. They even have a different tactic for power tripping. By the way, I believe you are calling the attention of MMDA Chairman, right? I think it should be Mr. Bayani Fernando and not Francisco. Continue being a law-abiding citizen. You are rare. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was viewing ronjie.com for the 1st time. i found it very entertaining most probably because i haven't read anyone's blogs yet. as in first blog ko atang binasa to. yeah, i know, huli na ako sa uso. but in fairness to you, okay pala tong site mo dude! keep it up! especially for people like me who have nothing to do.

    anyway, i guess you're wondering who the hell is this? well, i'll give you a clue:

    i was checking if my name would somehow appear in your site or if you've referred to me in any of the stuff you've written sofar. & when this subject caught my attention, i really thought "ETO NA!" only to be disappointed after reading the whole entry.

    have any idea as to who this is? ako kasama mo nung nahuli ka pare!
    hehe. now u know.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tsokolatebulate, thanks for the correction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ladies and gentlemen, i do not usually post names here, but as requested by my friend, here's his name: Lawrence Mondiguing. we call him DIGS. hehe. :-D thanks to digs for appreciating this website of mine - when he has nothing to do. :-( :-D

    ReplyDelete