Friday, September 2, 2011

[reactions+reflections] [thoughts] Old wine drinkers

Today I was surprised to see that a quote like this is actually in the Book of Luke (5:39):
"And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, 'The old is good enough.'"
The above is the version from the NASB; other versions would say 'The old is better,' or 'The old is just fine.'

But do you guys get the point?

I always thought that someone who (is mentally incapable and he) hasn't ever ridden a more recent BMW model wouldn't ever think that the same BMW model might be any better than his decades-old but clunky and gas-guzzling Beetle. "This gets me from Point A to B. Who needs a BMW?"

In the same way, I've heard of anti-Apple journalists who dismiss the MacBook Air's superiority over alternatives, but they haven't ever actually used or even held one. I've also heard of people who evangelize against graduate degrees and their irrelevance in many businesses today, but they've never had one and never actually know the benefits.

But hey, occasionally, there are poorly-kept new wine, probably a few lemon new BMWs, a number of new MacBook Airs that you just suddenly want to bring back to the store for a refund, and likewise, I have met lots of people with PhDs and MSc and MA degrees who give graduate degrees a bad, bad, bad, bad name. Like aerospace engineering graduates who cannot understand that wind speed is not the same as wind force. And graduates from lesser known universities putting "Studied at University of Florida" in their Facebook profiles.

Anyways...

Still, from my experience - I have so far obtained an MSc and now in the process of hopefully obtaining a PhD (or DEng to some) - I'm telling you, there's a big difference. I know.

There are bad apples, sure. There are a lot of them. I KNOW. But not all of us are.

Then again, I see how survival mode and a little bit of politics can also suddenly switch to on. "Hey, this new guy's hot new wheels are better than mine.  My girlfriend might want one, or worse want him more than me! No, I'm not going to let that happen. I'm going to make bad propaganda against this guy and his gear."

Okay, I'll stop here.

So, are you still drinking old wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment