Thursday, January 1, 2009

[thoughts] 2 things to realize

For me I think important that you should do what you like to do, such that a not-so-desireable outcome is okay, or you do the "same thing" everyday. For me, I try to do my best whether or not it is good enough for others, aim to be numero uno (as I know it), accept whatever is the outcome, and try to do better next time if I did not find success or if I can still improve. Of course, prayer should come before and after doing my part. I'm sure something new (e.g. a new challenge, new conditions, etc.) will come out anyway.

I'm thinking, if I love playing basketball, I don't mind taking 1000 shots everyday during practice. You can always get better. And you'll never know what will happen during your next game, and you don't know how well your opponent will play. You can try to "predict." But I look
at each game, each day, even each practice session as something new. So playing basketball everyday is okay because I love it, and I'm sure that I'll also find new challenges along the way anyway. 

Same thing with service - to God, country, or to your company.

Same thing if you're the type who likes learning new games, or travelling to unfamiliar places. Not everyone would like to do that, and yet they may be happy and content with what they have or with where they are.

The thing is, it doesn't matter whatever you like. Find what you like to do, and do it. If you've achieved what you like to do, be good at it. If you want, try to do other things. Otherwise, if you're happy and content, then stick to what you're doing, but put at the back of your head that something unexpected could always happen. So actually, you should never feel comfortable about something. Enjoy the success, but treat it as temporary because life goes on! :-D

I am a satisficers! But being a satisficer doesn't mean you don't make decisions. I think the bottomline also is you know what you want. Once you find it, satisficers make the decision and go for it right away. Maximizers are what you might call as choosy or, in Tagalog, "pihikan" people. They might just be delaying happiness; or they just haven't defined yet what they want.

________________________________
Subject: FW: 2 things to realize

1. Realize that anything worth doing is worth doing badly. Challenge and novelty are key elements of happiness. The brain is stimulated by surprise, and successfully dealing with an unexpected situation gives a powerful sense of satisfaction. People who do new things - learn a game, travel to unfamiliar places - are happier than people who stick to familiar activities that they already do well. I often remind myself to "Enjoy the fun of failure" and tackle some daunting goal.

2. Don't insist on the best. There are two types of decision makers. Satisficers (yes, satisficers)
make a decision once their criteria are met. When they find the hotel or the pasta sauce that has the qualities they want, they're satisfied. Maximizers want to make the best possible decision. Even if they see a bicycle or a backpack that meets their requirements, they can't make a decision until they've examined every option. Satisficers tend to be happier than maximizers. Maximizers expend more time and energy reaching decisions, and they're often anxious about their choices. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment