Sunday, July 22, 2012

The languages with the most number of native speakers are... [did you know?] [prustrations]

Image from 6PSbig3.com
1. Chinese Mandarin - 1 billion people
2. Spanish - around 390 million people
3. English - around 375 million people
:
58. Tagalog - 20 million people



China currently has 1.3 billion people, but the 300 million or so people speak a form of Chinese different from Mandarin. The second most spoken Chinese language is Wu, and it is followed by Cantonese, Southern Min, Jinyu, Hunanese, Hakka, and so on.

Anyway, I was curious about these numbers because I recently encountered some little native English speaking kids who have acquired age without the wisdom and are publicly laughing at people (who speak English as a second language) for their incorrect English grammar and what not.

Guess what, kid, correct English grammar is not necessary in all situations. Like when playing a shoot-em-up game. And many more situations. Sure, there are situations where it is necessary, or else a full communication of ideas is not achieved.

Oh, how wisdom can be so easily imagined.

And anyway, how many languages do you know? I might have my grammar or spelling wrong sometimes, accidentally (i.e. because of typographical errors) or otherwise (I really had it wrong), but you know, I can speak at least four languages. I can talk about you all I want and you wouldn't know that I am doing just that. You better be afraid.

But conversely, English is the most spoken language in the world - native and non-native English speakers alike. If you would really like to communicate with people who do not speak the same language as you, you both better speak and understand English well enough, or else expect some misunderstandings, or "wasted saliva." This I have observed a countless number of times.

Also, I don't care if English is one of hundreds of official languages in your country, or if there are more English-speaking people in your country, or if your English is supposedly based on British English while mine is based on American English. Those don't make you better than me. I think if you studied logic in school, then you would agree with me that these facts don't make you better than me. Or else, that's almost like one fallacy committed thrice. I hope you don't think you're over the "don't commit the same mistake twice" rule.

Even in English speaking countries there are people who make mistakes in English grammar. But I bet you didn't know that. And well, there's just more of you in your country than in mine, thus more English speakers than in mine, but still, that doesn't equate to you being better than me. But I guess that's how your mind works. It's always you & me. But really, my point is, don't be arrogant most specially when you really have nothing to be arrogant about. But then, you probably don't know that, right? It's a sad, sad world.

What more when aliens from outer space visit us. Are we prepared for miscommunication? Or are we prepared for peace? It's a sad, sad world.

No comments:

Post a Comment