Sunday, August 19, 2012

[quote me] (or quote them?) The pro and con of school.

Image from Wikipedia
I was going over my Palm (device) Memopad (app) notes backup from yesteryears, and I saw this quotation I jotted down there:

In school, we learn first and then take the test. In life, we first take the test and then learn.
I don't know if I just thought of that myself, but I'm quite sure many people have come up with the same or a similar quote in the past. At present though, I don't have the year as to when I wrote that in my "Memopad" Palm app. But who cares.

It is so true, right?

But now, looking back, it's more like "in life" could be replaced with "after college," because for example while I am still in (doctoral) school, there's a little bit more autonomy here in that they encourage you to think freely for yourself first. They do very little coaching. Then you are just suddenly asked to present what you've come up with, and well, you'll only learn a lot of mistakes you might have made after they comment on your presentation.

Over time, after so many presentations in front of the professors, senior researchers, and fellow doctoral students, you just get better and learn to cover as many bases as you can. Unfortunately, other people don't realize this while they're taking up their doctorate. They think their PhD supervisors / dissertation advisers should be telling them what to do every step of the way. That is a very undergraduate way of thinking.

In the same way, you know I've noticed that in some colleges and universities, they treat their students like they're still high school students. Not good. Even if it is still school, teachers/professors/lecturers should be simulating life; i.e. teach the students to think for themselves. Or else they might become employees or even doctoral students who will always be dependent on their superiors. Or worse, they become bosses or gain positions in companies and organizations but do not know how to actually lead.

In the same way, that's how we kids learn how to walk, right? We shouldn't carry them around all the time. We let them learn how to walk by themselves. Many experts don't even recommend "walkers" (walking trainers for babies) or else they might rely on those too much. That's before they go to school. 


So during school, we should prepare kids and young adults for after school, where they will "take tests" first and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment